With the World Health Organization declaring the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda, a public health emergency of international concern – India could support the affected region by providing medical assistance, even as it ups surveillance at its own ports and airports, said Soumya Swaminathan, WHO’s former Chief Scientist.
The UN health agency sounded its highest level of alarm in declaring Ebola - caused by the Bundibugyo virus in the DRC and Uganda - a PHEIC. But it stopped short of calling the outbreak a pandemic emergency, since it did not meet the criteria defined by the International Health Regulations (2005).
Surveillance Points
It is a very high risk for countries in that region, Swaminathan said, as it spreads through porous borders, and has a high case fatality rate (50 percent). “The public health systems there are weak and have got weaker now with US withdrawal of funding - community health workers and primary health care, most of it was funded by USAID ..The fact that 80 people have died, before there was an alert, that in itself is quite concerning,” Swaminathan told businessline.
India can extend assistance in supplying PPEs (personal protective equipment) or emergency medical kits, for example, Swaminathan suggested, as it enhances its own surveillance. “Don’t stop travellers ..(but) it would be wise to put in place surveillance at the ports of entry - flights or ships that are coming from there,” she said, calling for screening of people who show symptoms. Ebola spreads through contact and bodily fluids.
The heightened state of alert on Ebola comes even as the 79th World Health Assembly starts in Geneva, on Monday. International health administrators are at present also grappling with the Hantavirus that struck a Dutch cruise ship; besides another British cruise ship that was dealing with a gut-virus, after an elderly person passed away from a stomach illness.
Laboratory Preparedness
These incidents are “reminders” that infectious disease threats remain, she said, and the world will continue to face them from known and unknown pathogens. Preparedness and investment in preparedness, public health systems and a public health cadre is important, she said. Citing the Hantavirus outbreak reported from a ship, she said, Indian authorities would need to prepare if a similar situation happened in Indian waters and passengers had to disembark at one of the local ports.
No case of Ebola had been reported in India and the current risk was minimal, said a Health Ministry source, adding that screening, surveillance, quarantine and case management were being reviewed. Laboratory preparedness was being strengthened, with NIV Pune designated for testing, the source added. The Ministry was working with other Ministries and agencies to monitor international travel from affected regions, besides identifying and preparing isolation and quarantine facilities at major airports and ports.
The National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Integrated Disease Surveillance Programme (IDSP) and the Indian Council for Medical Research, among others, had reviewed the evolving situation and initiated precautionary public health measures, the source added.
Published on May 18, 2026
.png)
11 hours ago
17






English (US) ·