Last Updated:February 22, 2026, 13:14 IST
Trump announced an increase in the proposed global tariff rate from 10 per cent to 15 per cent. He sharply criticised the recent court ruling and called it “anti-American”.

India-US Chief Negotiators to Fix New Date for Trade Meet
In the wake of the Supreme Court of the United States blocking President Donald Trump’s global tariffs and the US President further raising the tariff to 15 per cent, sources in the Commerce Ministry said the proposed visit of India’s chief negotiator and his team to the United States for the India-US trade deal has been called off for now.
According to sources, both sides are of the view that the visit should be scheduled only after each has had time to assess the latest developments and their implications. The meeting will be rescheduled on a mutually convenient date.
US court ruling on tariffs
This comes after a major ruling by the Supreme Court of the United States against Donald Trump’s global tariff policy.
In a 6-3 majority decision, the court said his administration did not have the legal authority to impose sweeping global duties. It held that the International Emergency Economic Powers Act does not authorise the president to unilaterally levy broad, economy-wide tariffs.
Trump’s response
After the ruling, President Trump insisted that America’s trade arrangement with India would remain intact despite the judicial setback.
He said New Delhi would continue to “face tariffs while the US would not." “Nothing changes. They will be paying tariffs, and we will not be paying tariffs," he said while referring to India.
Under the trade framework discussed earlier, the reciprocal tariff on India is expected to be reduced to 18 per cent. So far, New Delhi has not issued any official response to these developments.
Tariff rate raised
However, on Saturday, President Trump announced an increase in the proposed global tariff rate from 10 per cent to 15 per cent. He sharply criticised the recent court ruling and called it “anti-American".
In a post on his social media platform Truth Social, he said the higher tariff would take effect immediately. He accused several countries of exploiting the United States for decades and claimed the revised rate was legally sound.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
Location :
Delhi, India, India
First Published:
February 22, 2026, 13:14 IST
News world India, US Reschedule Chief Negotiators’ Meet On Trade Deal After Trump Announces Global 15% Tariff
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
.png)
2 hours ago
15





English (US) ·