‘Living through a nightmare’: family of 85-year-old man kidnapped in Sydney speak of ordeal

2 hours ago 17

Police have called on Sydneysiders to report any “not normal activity” as they search for 85-year-old Chris Baghsarian, who investigators say was abducted by mistake in a botched underworld kidnapping.

Baghsarian was alone in his North Ryde home when he was taken and bundled into a dark-coloured SUV on Friday morning.

Police hold grave concerns for the grandfather, who needs daily medication, after they were called to the home by neighbours who heard a commotion about 5am.

Sign up: AU Breaking News email

Det Acting Supt Andrew Marks said on Monday that police, at this stage, believed Baghsarian was still alive.

“This is not a typical crime,” he said. “The offenders have got the wrong person. They were intending to take somebody but … they have kidnapped the wrong person.”

Marks said Baghsarian’s family hadn’t received any ransom.

“In a normal kidnapping case, we would be aware of a ransom. But because the family are not involved in this type of crime, and they’re not involved in that world, they haven’t received a ransom.”

Marks said police were “one million per cent confident” the kidnappers had taken the wrong man. He wouldn’t comment on who the intended victim might have been.

Asked why Baghsarian hadn’t been released if the offenders had the wrong man, Marks said: “Can I answer why they haven’t released him? I can’t answer on their behalf. I don’t know why they have not released him.”

The detective called on the public to report any “not normal activity” – for example, if people were coming and going to a house where there wasn’t usually such activity.

Baghsarian was wearing a red and blue flannelette shirt and grey pyjamas when he was bundled out of his house.

Marks said the fact that the kidnappers had “got it so wrong” was concerning, but others in Sydney “need not fear” for their elderly parents living alone.

When they arrived at the home on Friday morning, police found signs of forced entry.

Baghsarian had been in his bedroom when the men broke in.

CCTV footage published by Nine News shows a dark Toyota pulling into Northcott Street in North Ryde before Baghsarian was taken. A man in high-visibility clothing is seen emerging from the car, followed by an accomplice.

Moments later, they are seen pushing the elderly man across the landing as the car moves closer.

Police said a burnt-out vehicle matching the description of the SUV involved had been found nearby.

Marks on Monday said police had seen a video showing the 85-year-old tied up. Its public release was “not ideal”, the detective said, adding it had not been leaked by police.

The New South Wales premier, Chris Minns, urged those responsible for the abduction to return Baghsarian.

“It’s not too late to end this situation … please return him to his family,” Minns said.

“Let police know where he is currently located or, alternatively, drop Mr Baghsarian off at a shopping centre, an emergency department, or even a nursing home.”

It is believed Baghsarian is a widower who has lived alone for almost four years.

Read Entire Article