‘We are studying…’ - India’s reaction on US Supreme Court’s decision on Trump tariffs

2 hours ago 21

trump speaks to modi

The Indian government said it has noted the judgment of the US Supreme Court on tariffs and is studying all these developments for their implications. In a statement issued today, the Commerce Ministry said that US President Donald Trump has also addressed a press conference in that regard. It added that some steps have been announced by the US Administration.

"We have noted the US Supreme Court judgement on tariffs yesterday. President Trump has also addressed a press conference in that regard," the Ministry said.

"Some steps have been announced by the US Administration. We are studying all these developments for their implications," the Ministry of Commerce & Industry said in a statement," it added.

Speaking to news agency ANI, Union Minister Pralhad Joshi, earlier in the day, had said the Centre will examine the recent US Supreme Court ruling on tariffs before issuing any official response, asserting that the matter falls under the purview of the Commerce Ministry and the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA).

Speaking to reporters in Karnataka's Kalaburagi, Joshi said, "I have read in the media that the US top court has given some judgment and the Indian government will study that, and whatever the reaction needs to be given, that will be given by the Commerce Ministry and MEA, not by me."

The Indian government’s reaction came as the US Supreme Court, in a major setback to Trump's pivotal economic agenda for his second term, ruled that the US president’s administration exceeded its authority by invoking the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) of 1977 to impose sweeping import tariffs.

The US Supreme Court, in a 6-3 verdict written by Chief Justice John Roberts, ruled that the tariffs imposed by the president on nations around the world were illegal.

Trump's proclamation, dated February 20, had said: "I impose, for a period of 150 days, a temporary import surcharge of 10 per cent ad valorem on articles imported into the United States, effective February 24, 2026".

The US had imposed a reciprocal tariff of 25 per cent on India in August.

Later, an additional 25 per cent was imposed for buying Russian crude oil, taking the total tariffs on India to 50 per cent. Earlier this month, both countries agreed to finalise an interim trade deal, under which Washington will cut down the tariffs to 18 per cent.

So far, the punitive 25 per cent has been removed. The remaining 25 per cent exists.

Following the proclamation, the tariffs on Indian goods will now be 10 per cent. The 10 per cent levy is over and above the existing MFN or import duties in the US.

In the wake of the US Supreme Court's decision on tariffs, Trump said there is no change in the trade deal with India and emphasised that the India deal is on.

To finalise the legal text for the first phase of the bilateral trade agreement, the Indian team is scheduled to meet its counterparts in Washington from February 23, 2026.

During 2021-25, the US was India's largest trading partner in goods. The US accounts for about 18 per cent of India's total exports, 6.22 per cent in imports and 10.73 per cent in bilateral trade.

In 2024-25, the bilateral trade touched USD 186 billion (USD 86.5 billion exports and USD 45.3 billion imports).

Read Entire Article