Last Updated:February 18, 2026, 12:24 IST
Sahil Dhaneshra, a BBA student set for Manchester, died in a Dwarka crash caused by a minor’s SUV. His mother blames a reckless social media reel for ending his dreams.

Inna Makan, mother of 23-year-old Sahil Dhaneshra who died after an SUV driven allegedly by a minor collided with his motorcycle (Photo: PTI)
The death of 23-year-old Sahil Dhaneshra in a road crash in Delhi’s Dwarka earlier this month has not only claimed a young life but also ended years of hard work and aspirations of studying abroad, his grieving mother said, recalling how her son was months away from pursuing higher education in Manchester.
Describing him as disciplined, hardworking and deeply focused on his goals, Sahil’s mother, Inna Makan, told news agency PTI that her only child had carefully planned every step toward his future.
A final-semester BBA student, Sahil, had secured admission to a one-year Master of Science (MSc) programme in Luxury Fashion Management in Manchester and was preparing to move to the United Kingdom.
“He did everything on his own. I did not know any of this. He would tell me he would manage it himself and figure things out, and I would encourage him," Makan said.
According to her, Sahil had ensured that his studies abroad would not become a financial burden on the family.
“He had maintained a good CIBIL score and had carefully worked out every detail to secure an education loan for his Master’s course," she said.
Sahil, who lived with his single mother in Dwarka since 2013, balanced academics with work responsibilities.
Apart from studying, he worked at an insurance firm, helped his mother with her real-estate business and had started a small venture making luxury boxes with a friend.
Recently, however, he decided to step back from work to concentrate fully on his final semester.
“He said this was his last semester and wanted to concentrate fully on his studies. Whenever he had time, he would still help me," she said.
THE DWARKA CRASH THAT KILLED SAHIL DHANESHRA
The accident occurred on February 3 near Lal Bahadur Shastri College in Dwarka South when a Sports Utility Vehicle allegedly driven by a 17-year-old boy collided head-on with Sahil’s motorcycle, killing him on the spot.
The SUV later hit a stationary taxi, injuring its driver.
Police registered a case under Sections 281 (rash driving), 106(1) (causing death by negligence) and 125(a) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita after receiving a PCR call at around 11.57 am.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (Dwarka), Ankit Singh, said the accused initially claimed to be 19, but verification of documents revealed he was a minor.
The teenager, who was found without a driving licence, was apprehended and produced before the Juvenile Justice Board.
He was later granted interim bail on February 10 as he is a Class 10 student appearing for examinations.
Police also initiated action against his father for allowing a minor to drive.
‘A REEL LED TO THE ACCIDENT’, SAHIL’s MOTHER SAYS
In a voice choked with grief, Makan alleged that a “fun reel", a reckless stunt for social media, led to the crash.
“My son believed in hard work, not shortcuts," she said.
“Someone else’s fun reel has taken my son’s life away and all the dreams I had for him."
Calling the incident more than an accident, she added, “This cannot simply be called an accident. This is criminal activity."
WHAT EYEWITNESSES, ACCUSED’s LAWYER, HIS FATHER SAID
Eyewitnesses claimed the SUV driver’s family appeared more concerned about their own child after the crash, with one witness alleging that the accused’s elder brother initially handed over his own driving licence before admitting the minor had been driving.
The accused’s father, however, told news agency ANI that he was not in Delhi at the time and was unaware his son had taken the vehicle.
Expressing grief, he said the family was “deeply grief-stricken" and would cooperate fully with the investigation.
He added that the SUV was part of a commercial fleet and that challans linked to the vehicle were due to drivers operating it for business purposes.
Meanwhile, the minor’s defence lawyer appealed for restraint, saying that the incident was “very unfortunate and painful" and that the teenager and his family were under severe stress and receiving threatening calls.
The lawyer said the boy did not flee the scene and urged that the matter not become a media trial, emphasising that the investigation is still underway.
Police said CCTV footage has been collected, the vehicles involved have been seized and mechanically inspected, and further investigation is in progress.
Handpicked stories, in your inbox
A newsletter with the best of our journalism
First Published:
February 18, 2026, 12:23 IST
News india 'Fun Reel Crushed His Manchester Dream': Mother Of Dwarka Crash Victim Demands Justice
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Read More
.png)
1 hour ago
18







English (US) ·