UEFA Begins Investigation Into 'Discriminatory Behavior' Against Vinicius Jr

2 hours ago 18

Last Updated:February 18, 2026, 18:36 IST

UEFA says is investigating allegations of racial abuse by Gianluca Prestianni against Vinícius Júnior during Benfica vs Real Madrid.

An animated Vinícius Júnior (L) in the UCL last night.

(AP)

An animated Vinícius Júnior (L) in the UCL last night. (AP)

The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) has opened an investigation into ‘allegations of discriminatory behaviour’ after Real Madrid star forward Vinícius Júnior accused Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni of racially abusing him during Tuesday’s Champions League match in Lisbon.

“A UEFA Ethics and Disciplinary Inspector has been appointed to investigate allegations of discriminatory behaviour during the UEFA Champions League 2025/2026 Knock-out play-off match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid CF on 17 February 2026. Further information regarding this matter will be made available in due course," the organisation said in a statement.

Moments after celebrating in front of the home supporters at the Estádio da Luz — an act that earned him a yellow card — Vinícius became involved in a heated exchange with a Prestianni, who covered his face with his t-shirt and seemed to be saying something repeatedly to the Brazilian forward.

Vinícius informed referee François Letexier that he had been called ‘mono,’ the Spanish word for monkey. Letexier activated UEFA’s racism protocol, halting the match for more than 10 minutes as tensions simmered inside the stadium.

After the game, Vinícius spoke out on social media, describing racists as ‘cowards’ and criticising those who fail to punish such behaviour. He said what happened should never be tolerated in his life or his family’s, adding that while he does not like to speak publicly about such incidents, it had become necessary. No disciplinary action was taken during the match.

Benfica coach José Mourinho said Prestianni denied the accusation and suggested Vinícius’s goal celebration was provocative. Mourinho was later sent off for protesting that the Madrid winger should have received a second booking.

Madrid’s dressing room rallied behind their teammate. Trent Alexander-Arnold labelled the episode ‘a disgrace for football,’ while Kylian Mbappé said the accused player did not deserve to compete in the Champions League. Madrid ultimately secured the win, taking a 1-0 lead in the two-legged tie.

The two clubs will meet again at Bernabéu in Madrid on Thursday (February 26).

(With agency inputs)

Handpicked stories, in your inbox

A newsletter with the best of our journalism

First Published:

February 18, 2026, 18:35 IST

News sports football UEFA Begins Investigation Into 'Discriminatory Behavior' Against Vinicius Jr

Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Read More

Read Entire Article